Old Glasgow Club
Minutes of ordinary meeting of Club held at Adelaideís, 209 Bath Street on Thursday 10th April 2008 at 7.30pm.
Mrs McNae (for President)
Mrs McNae welcomed members and visitors to the meeting.
There were apologies from Charlie McCall, Carol Thomson, Anna Forrest, Betty Sneddon, Petrina Cairns, Isabel Haddow, Janette Knox, Sarah Coyle, Jeanette Reid and Maida Gibson.
The minutes of the last ordinary meeting held on 13 March, having been circulated, were approved, proposed by Mrs Thom, seconded by Mr Gordon. There were no matters arising.
There was no Presidentís report.
Mrs McNae advised that a reporter from the Glasgow Magazine (distributed free to all city ratepayers) would shortly meet with the directors in order to prepare an article on the club for the forthcoming June/July issue.
She also confirmed dates for the forthcoming JAS Wilson Memorial Walk (15 May in Dennistoun, led by Peter Mortimer), Tappit Hen Bowling tournament (22 May) and Summer Outing to Falkland Palace (14 June).
She also advised members that there was a photographic exhibition on Old Glasgow at the Peopleís Palace until September.
Mrs McNae introduced Mrs Alma Topen, Archivist at Glasgow University, who spoke on the topic of Partickhill, illustrated with photographs, maps etc.
Mrs Topen had moved to Partickhill in 1978 and had pursued her interest in the area ever since. Bounded by Dumbarton Road and Clarence Drive to South and North, and by Hyndland on the West, the area was first feuíd by the Robb family in the late 18th century. A map of 1816 shows 3 estates, Partickhill, Stewartville and Muir Park. John Hamilton bought lands from the Robb estate and his son William developed the area. He was a wealthy merchant who traded with the Far East.
A feuing plan from around 1840 prepared by Mr Taylor, a surveyor, shows 98 plots following the contours of the hill, but only part of the grand scheme was built. The area now boasted a wide variety of housing but owed its development primarily to William Hamilton.
In the 1850ís William Hamilton sold off land to builders, and large houses were built, some including private schools. Hamilton, however, suffered bereavement and bankruptcy and died in the 1870ís. Unfeued plots were sold to builders and this resulted in the erection of differing styles of houses, some in the Greek style eg by architects David Barclay and Peter McKissock. The architect William Leiper lived in Partickhill from 1864 to 1871.
The area suffered bomb damage in the war. Development since then has not always been attractive, with the former Wickets Hotel being a prime example. Some successful new build development has taken place in the Peel Street area.
There is much to see in Partickhill and walks round the area are much to be recommended.
Vote of thanks
Mr Gibson thanked Mrs Topen for her excellent talk which combined aspects of history, geography and architecture, and for the qualities she had demonstrated in the thoroughness of her research, and her detailed observation of the buildings in Partickhill.
Mrs McNae wished all a safe journey home.